If you want professional results for your patio, driveway or wall project, you’re going to need some help. But you don’t have to know everything about pavers to hire a contractor. All you need are the right questions.
What to ask:
- How long have you been installing pavers?
- Are you a member of the ICPI (Interlocking Concrete Pavers Institute) or other trade associations?
Membership in a local trade association shows a level of professionalism and credibility.
- Will follow ICPI specifications for the installation?
- Do you guarantee your work for at least one year?
- Will you return in a year to inspect it?
- How long will the project take and what hours of the day will you be working?
- How many people are in your crew?
Request the following:
- At least three referrals from past clients.
Referrals can only help if you call them. Here are a few questions to ask:
- Were you happy with the work?
- Did the contractor clean up each day?
- How did the contractor handle plan changes?
- Was the job completed on time and at the quoted price?
- Would you hire this contractor again?
- Pictures of recently completed jobs
- A current liability insurance certificate
The contractor should be insured for any damage or injuries that occur on your property.
- Documentation that your contractor’s worker’s compensation insurance covers the whole job and crew
- A written, itemized proposal outlining the scope of work and terms of payment
It should include starting and completion dates, demolition, excavation, paving and base materials as well as any applicable taxes.
If you have any other questions about transforming your outdoor space, contact us today.